"Mitsubishi" is a constellation of completely independent group companies and organizations that share a common and unifying management philosophy.
See our frequently asked questions below for a summary of the most common things people ask about Mitsubishi.
- Q 01
- Is Mitsubishi a single company?
- A 01
- No. "Mitsubishi" is a community that consists of a multitude of completely independent companies (and their respective group companies) unified by a common heritage and empowered by a common set of values. The names of most–but not all–of those companies contain the word "Mitsubishi." Many of the companies use the three-diamond Mitsubishi mark. But none calls itself simply "Mitsubishi."
- Q 02
- You say Mitsubishi is "a multitude of independent companies." How do you define Mitsubishi and how many companies are there?
- A 02
Here at mitsubishi.com, we speak of "Mitsubishi" in terms of the group companies subject to the company search on this website, which total approximately 600. But that is not the one and only definition of Mitsubishi. Another definition refers to the 27 members of the Kinyokai, the informal group of core Mitsubishi group companies.
The independence of Mitsubishi group companies makes the entity referred to as "Mitsubishi" all but impossible to define, and thus a specific number of companies the group consists of cannot be stated. If we simply count the number of companies with "Mitsubishi" in their names existing worldwide, that would be around 500. But there are also hundreds of Mitsubishi group companies that do not have "Mitsubishi" in their names.
- Q 03
- Why do the Mitsubishi group companies undertake joint endeavors like the "mitsubishi.com" website if they are separate and independent companies?
- A 03
- The companies conduct their business activities independently and even compete with each other in many fields. But as they share the same founding management philosophy and have related historical roots, they cooperate in areas of common interest, such as sporting and cultural events, and public-interest activities. The group companies established a Mitsubishi portal on the Internet, "mitsubishi.com," to provide a broad perspective on Mitsubishi.
- Q 04
- Do Mitsubishi group companies have some kind of decision-making body that determines overall policy for the companies?
- Q 05
- How did the various Mitsubishi companies begin?
- A 05
- The companies trace their origin to a shipping company started in 1870 by a man named Yataro Iwasaki. Yataro also established businesses in mining, shipbuilding, banking and insurance. He thus laid the foundation for the subsequent growth and development of many of the Mitsubishi group companies that exist today.
- Q 06
- Are there any cultural assets related to Mitsubishi?
- A 06
- The founding family of the former Mitsubishi organization left an impressive legacy of architecture and landscaping. They also gathered and made available for view a vast collection of oriental art. Yanosuke Iwasaki, the second president and his son, Koyata Iwasaki, the fourth president together established the Seikado Bunko Art Museum, a priceless collection of Japanese and Chinese books and scrolls. And Hisaya Iwasaki, the third president established the Toyo Bunko, Japan's oldest library and research institution devoted exclusively to Asian Studies.
- Q 07
- How do the Mitsubishi group companies approach philanthropic activities?
- A 07
- The companies undertake philanthropic activities individually, such as volunteer work and corporate donations. Some group companies also support wide-ranging efforts together, such as establishing joint charitable foundations and research organizations.
- Q 08
- To where should an inquiry concerning a Mitsubishi product be sent?
- A 08
- Please contact the companies directly in regard to their individual products and activities (including information on job offers). If you are unsure which company to contact, please refer to our company listings page. If you have a question or message concerning this website, please click here to contact the mitsubishi.com committee office.
- Q 09
- How are the Mitsubishi brand name and the three-diamond Mitsubishi mark managed?
- A 09
- Mitsubishi group companies established the Mitsubishi Corporate Name and Trademark Committee and an affiliated liaison group to establish and enforce guidelines for proper use of the brand name "Mitsubishi" and its mark "", and protect them from unauthorized or inappropriate use by third parties.
- Q 10
- Why isn't Mitsubishi Pencil included in the list of Mitsubishi companies on this website?
- A 10
- It often causes a lot of confusion owing to the same "Mitsubishi" name and similar mark, but Mitsubishi Pencil Co., Ltd. is not one of the Mitsubishi group companies. They have a completely different origin. For information on Mitsubishi Pencil, please refer to their company website. (http://www.uni-ball.com)
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us through our Inquiry Form.